You’ve probably heard of explainer videos or animated explainer videos, but you might be wondering what they are, and how they can help your marketing strategy.
What is an Explainer Video?
Explainer videos are visual pitches that give your customers and idea of what you’re offering them. Most businesses employ them to get new sales and leads, but explainer videos have many functions. These videos are usually between one and three minutes, but some can be longer. Usually animated explainer videos are made for a business’s product or service, but live motion video explainers are great too as long as the script and acting are perfect. There are many editing tools and video production services that can assist with creating these videos.
If you want your customers to know more about your brand than just your slogan, explainer videos are a great way to showcase why your product or service is one of the best available to them.
Whether you relay this message in a youthful tone, or choose a more sophisticated one, explainer videos have proven to be effective in creating brand awareness, increasing revenue and garnering the interest of future prospects.
10 Tips for Creating a Great Explainer Video
- Keep it short. Nobody is looking for a 30-minute sales pitch. Tailor your material to people’s current attention spans. You may show your video on a home or landing page and statistics show web visitors only stay on a page for a few minutes to short seconds.
- Write Great Copy. One of the most important things is a great script. If it doesn’t make sense or isn’t compelling you’ll lose your audience. You may have all these wonderful things to say, but if you can’t put it together we suggest in hiring a professional copywriter. One who specializes in explainer video scripts and the fundamentals of video conversion. We have some valuable tips on how to write an explainer video script for you to read.
- Make ‘Em Laugh! Although it’s easier said than done, a little humor goes a long way, talk with your scriptwriter about conveying your message in a humorous way.
- Use Emotion to your Advantage. Know what emotion you’re trying to elicit from your customers, and relay your desires to your scriptwriter.
- Draft a Storyboard. Along with your script it’s great to have every scene planned out. A storyboard will usually include frame-by-frame visuals, scene descriptions, time of each scene, voice over and audio layout.
- Plan Visuals Carefully. Viewers are engaged when there are well-executed animated video production of graphics. For live video pay attention to locations and camera angles. We recommend using a decent camera, lighting and such for live motion and if you don’t have that then hire video production services to take care of that portion.
- Use Professional Recording for Audio. If you are trying to convey a professional image, a poor-quality audio recording is going to do you a major disservice. Proper recording equipment (a high-quality microphone recorded in a soundproof space) will lend your video a professional quality your customers want to see.
- Use a Professional Voice Over. If you’re not going to record your own voice over then carefully select an appropriate and professional voice over artist. Preferably one who has the proper recording equipment we mentioned.
- Consider Using a Song and SFX in your Video. Music stirs people’s emotion like few other things can. It can be hard to obtain the rights for popular songs, but there are thousands of artists on the Internet who have recorded music specifically for corporate/promotional materials. Find something that matches the tone you are trying to elicit.
- Plan for your Product Launch. Select what platform on which you’ll release your video. Share your video on your blog, website, and social media platforms.
Now that you know the basics of how to create a great explainer video, use these tips to improve your video marketing strategy!